Wicker and Rattan Maintenance
How to maintain and clean your Home Wicker Storage and Rattan Garden Furniture.
How to care for your Indoor Wicker Storage in 3 easy steps:
Wicker Storage items can be a little tough to clean due to the multiple small crevices and the very nature of the material. We would not recommend using water or water based solutions when cleaning willow, as if it is not dried properly it could in time grow mould. However, by following these 3 easy steps you will keep your storage clean and looking fresh for longer.
1) Vacuum the storage item:
- The first step in cleaning wicker storage to remove the main dust and dirt.
- Use the bristle brush attachment to allow the crevices to be penatrated and the dust lifted.
- If your wicker item is painted, be careful not to brush too hard as you may scrape / remove the paint.
- For Water Hyacinth and Seagrass pleated storage lightly run the brush over the top as not to rough up the weave too much.
2) Use a toothbrush or tweezers for intricate cleaning and dust removal:
- If you can see larger items of dirt or a build up of dust that hasn't been removed with the hoover, you may wish to use a pair of tweezers to careful reach into the crevice to remove the item without causing any damage.
- You may also choose to use a toothbrush on tighter areas to release the dirt and then run the vacuum over again to ensure the dust is lifted.
3) CAREFULLY Trim with scissors:
- It is normal for old wicker items to have a couple of stray pieces that either break off or stick out over time and use. We would not recommend pulling at these pieces as the storage items are handwoven and you could make the damage worse. However, you can remove and tidy these areas with a pair of sharp scissors. Good as new!