What is Synthetic Outdoor Rattan?
Synthetic rattan explained
A popular question we often get asked is...what is rattan garden furniture?
Rattan garden furniture is made from a synthetic weave and is perfect for leaving outdoors all year as it is treated and woven on aluminium frames. Real/natural rattan could not be used outside. Hence the use of the term 'rattan' when describing garden furniture is usually always the synthetic type. You may also have heard it called wicker or weave; they refer to synthetic rattan.
Synthetic Rattan is a flexible but sturdy man-made fibre which has revolutionised the garden furniture market. Good quality synthetic rattan furniture
is impervious to the forces of both mother nature and day to day use. It won't fade in the sun, become brittle and crack in the cold, peel or suffer from mildew even if left outside all year round. Furthermore it can do all this without maintenance and is available in traditional or truly modern designs.
Unlike traditional natural wicker garden furniture which is woven from natural abaca (palm) strands, modern outdoor all weather wicker garden furniture is hand woven from new weather resistant synthetics that are far more durable and include UV proofing additives that can resist fading for decades. Synthetic wicker garden furniture will keep its colour far longer than traditional garden outdoor furniture and is also chlorine resistant. It is truly amazing.
The frames woven by the Synthetic Rattan:
Wovenhill only supply solid framed furniture with 100% powder coated aluminium frames. We advise to avoid buying garden furniture that uses steel. Though steel has its place, it shouldn't be left outside and will surely rust. Even if powder coated, steel will rust because the powder coating will inevitably become scratched with use and expose the steel.
This is why at Wovenhillwe use solid aluminium frames to make our outdoor rattan garden furniture. Because of its non corrosive properties, aluminium is also used to make important components in the automotive industry as well as in spacecrafts and rockets. For long lasting all weather outdoor furniture, buy solid aluminium framed pieces. Self assembly sofas and chairs will weaken in time and become unstable, and you will also have unsightly joins.
Many importers use steel frames as this is cheaper to manufacture but shortens your furniture's life expectancy and should be avoided at all times. Made on Aluminium frames, our rattan furniture is lightwight enough to enable you to move its position, but still strong enough to withstand all weathers.
- All of our rattan garden furniture has a 8mm tight rattan weave for strength and durability.
- Synthetic outdoor rattan is ideal for outdoor use and very little maintenance is required, just a quick wipe down if dirty/dusty etc.
- The furniture is man-made and combines the two most weather-resistant materials, aluminium extrusion frame structures are welded together to form a strong yet lightweight frame which is colour co-ordinated powder coated for protection.
- The frame structure is then woven by using durable resins that are extruded into the shape and texture of wicker/rattan.
- A UV-resistant ingredient is added to provide the resin wicker strands with a long life and usage. It is also resistant to chlorine and is mildew resistant.
- All our items are manufactured to the highest construction standards ensuring comfort and durability.
- With the exception of some our garden dining tables, all products have no self assembly; all sofas and chairs are solid framed.
- Our synthetic garden furniture is made from durable petan that's resistant to sunlight and rain and is easy to clean. They would look fantastic in any outdoor setting and can withstand the rigours of outdoor life all year round.
Back to previous page>